Before we leave 2019 behind to welcome the New Year, let’s take a look back at USGNN™’s most heavily trafficked stories of the year.
2019’s Top Stories:
- Notre Dame’s Famous Stained-Glass Windows Appear to Survive Fire – The news story of 2019 that garnered the most views was USGNN™’s coverage of the Notre Dame Cathedral fire in Paris and the fate of its centuries-old stained glass windows.
- Virginia Glass Products Employee Crushed to Death by Glass – An employee of Virginia Glass Products was killed in an accident in April 2019. Glass fell onto him while he was loading it onto a truck. An investigation into the incident closed in October, resulting in a citation and penalty which have been addressed and paid, respectfully.
- Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope® Divests of Antamex Subcontracting Business – Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope® (OBE), part of CRH’s Building Products Division, announced that it had completed the divestment of Toronto-based Antamex International, its fenestration subcontracting business, to New York City-based private investment company O3 Industries at the beginning of January 2019.
- Safti First Designs Modifiable Border Wall as Less Expensive Alternative to Steel, Concrete – Border wall discussions were the source of much debate in Washington, D.C., in 2018 and the beginning of 2019. Safti First president and CEO William O’Keeffe explained how his company came up with a glassy solution for the wall that would be less expensive and offer more overall protection than the steel or concrete wall prototypes being considered at the time.
- YKK AP America Inc. Acquires Erie Architectural Products Group – YKK AP America Inc. (YKK AP) announced in December 2019 the acquisition of high-performance facades solutions provider, Erie Architectural Products Group (Erie AP)—its first in North America. This strategic acquisition represents a significant move toward where the construction market is trending; fabricated, pre-assembled products are an area of specialization for Erie AP, and one of focused growth for YKK AP.